2023 Day of the Dead Program
Two weeks October 23 to November 3
Day of the Dead in Oaxaca
Day of the Dead is the most expressive and unique holiday of Oaxaca. It is the best time to learn Spanish in Oaxaca.
Looking for a unique cultural experience? Consider visiting Oaxaca, Mexico from October 21 to November 5, 2023, for the Day of the Dead celebration. This vibrant and heartwarming event is a perfect opportunity to explore the city, which bursts with life and color after the rainy season.
While in Oaxaca, immerse yourself in the enchanting atmosphere of the Day of the Dead and join a one-of-a-kind Spanish language program. This program will allow you to delve deeper into this remarkable time’s culture, art, food, and language.
During the Day of the Dead, witness the beauty of various cultural expressions and mouth-watering gastronomy. Families adorn their homes and host festivities to remember their loved ones who have passed. It’s a magical time to embrace the richness of Mexico’s heritage.
Day of the Dead Program
October 23 to November 3
Product Description: Immerse yourself in the rich cultural traditions of Oaxaca during the Day of the Dead with the Instituto Cultural Oaxaca’s special Spanish program.
With four hours of Spanish classes in the morning and two hours of workshops in the afternoon, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to improve your language skills while learning about this important holiday’s unique customs and practices. The program also includes an hour of one-on-one conversation with a native speaker to help you practice your Spanish in a real-world setting.
The extracurricular activities focus on Day of the Dead traditions and activities in Oaxaca, including hands-on cultural workshops, a lecture about the Day of the Dead in Oaxaca, a comparsa (parade) through the streets, and the opportunity to create your own altar and share pictures of those you wish to remember on this special day.
With the Instituto Cultural Oaxaca, you’ll have the chance to fully immerse yourself in the vibrant culture of Oaxaca and create memories that will last a lifetime.
- Four hours of Spanish classes in the morning
- Two hours of workshops in the afternoon
- One-on-one conversation with a native speaker
- Cultural Workshops focused on Day of the Dead traditions
- Visits to the cemeteries and outlying village’s celebrations.
- Opportunity to create your own altar and share pictures of loved ones
- Comparsa (parade) through the streets
- Improve your Spanish language skills in a real-world setting.
- Learn about the unique customs and practices of the Day of the Dead
- Immerse yourself in the vibrant culture of Oaxaca
- Create memories that will last a lifetime
The Day of the Dead program is offered exclusively for two weeks: Monday, October 23 through Friday, November 3, 2023.
The program is offered in 40 hours and includes:
- 40 hours of Spanish language classes, Monday to Friday from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
- 16 hours of cultural workshops, Monday to Thursday, two hours in the afternoon
- Lecture about Day of the Dead in Oaxaca, its culture and history.
- 1 Tour to the cemeteries in Oaxaca and towns nearby the night of October 31
- 1 Tour to the comparsas outside Oaxaca on November 1.
Cultural Workshops on Day of the Dead
Mask-Making Workshop: Unleash your creativity by designing your mask or adopting a traditional Day of the Dead style. Showcase your masterpiece during the comparsa, a lively parade that circles the Instituto.
Cooking Workshop: Learn to prepare delicious holiday-specific dishes like Mole Negro, Champurrado, and the famous Oaxacan hot chocolate, distinguishing this workshop from the Instituto’s regular cooking class.
Literature Workshop, “Conociendo a la Muerte or Getting to Know Death”: Discover the rich literature surrounding this holiday, allowing you to understand the Day of the Dead on a deeper level, improve your Spanish, expand your vocabulary, and poems and short stories about Dead’s role in Oaxacan culture and traditions.
The Day of the Dead program is from October 23 to November 3, 2023
This program has a limited availability since all classes are limited to a maximum of 8 students per class.
To register, you must pay 50% of the program’s total cost; the balance is due upon arrival. *No registration fee is required for this course.
The prices for this program: